Views
Helpful
Replies

Pushing object groups dACLs through ISE

orp
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

Is it possible to push dACLs containing object groups to the switch? Do I need to configure the object groups locally on the switch or can it be pushed too?

My main goal is to minimize the amount of ACEs, in order to do so I want to group a few services into an object group and then apply the ACL on it.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @orp,

Good question !! I have never found any Cisco's document having any information regarding this but I have a very poor experience with these object-groups on switch and routers. While checking I have found that on ISE 2.1 and later, you can create a DACL with object-group such as "permit tcp any addrgroup myobject" and you need to create these object groups locally on switches.

I would like to recommend using them in a test environment first as they are never get tested.

***Please mark all helpful posts***

Spooster IT Services Team

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello @orp,

Good question !! I have never found any Cisco's document having any information regarding this but I have a very poor experience with these object-groups on switch and routers. While checking I have found that on ISE 2.1 and later, you can create a DACL with object-group such as "permit tcp any addrgroup myobject" and you need to create these object groups locally on switches.

I would like to recommend using them in a test environment first as they are never get tested.

***Please mark all helpful posts***

Thanks for the answer! Seems like checking it on a test environment will be necessary indeed.

Just to make sure - In case I'll apply a dACL like this - "permit tcp any addrgroup myobject" and "myobject" contains 3 different hosts, it will count as 1 ACE for the 64 ACEs limit, right?

Yes, that is true.

Hi @orp ,

please take a look: CSCvj94873 Add possibility to use object groups in DACL on ISE ...

Last Modified: Mar 10,2020
Severity: 6 Enhancement
Symptom: Currently ISE allows to create the DACL only in the format supported by switches (i.e. the source should be 'any', object groups are not allowed, etc.).

Hope this helps !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: