cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFTP Backup Issues in 2.3

paul
Level 10
Level 10

I have been meaning to ask this for a while, but keep forgetting.  Are there known bugs with SFTP backups in 2.3?  It is completely unstable.  Here are two main symptoms:

1. If you try to validate the repository in the GUI and it fails the browser will just hang and the ISE services will restart.
  2. When you do that actual backup periodically it will fail at 75% which is when ISE is trying to transfer the file to the SFTP server.  You can't cancel the backup at that point so the easiest way to get out of the stuck backup is to reboot the server.

I apologize if I have asked this question before, but I couldn't find a posting on it.  I have seen this on at least 5 of my 2.3 roll outs.  For now I have been telling my clients SFTP backup is unreliable in 2.3 and we have to use FTP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some known issues on ISE 2.3 might be related: CSCvg32162, CSCvg48457 and CSCvg52304.

CSCvg32162 matching best with your description as it also stuck at 75% completion.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Beside a bug search, I would recommend opening cases for each of your customers and getting assigned to a defect to put some engineering effort behind it

Thanks Jason. I didn’t see anything in the bug search. I will try to replicate it in my lab setup and open a TAC case.

Paul Haferman

Office- 920.996.3011

Cell- 920.284.9250

Just to share some idea... i had similar symptoms. Had TAC case opened, turns out it was cypher suite mismatch between the ISE and our SFTP server. Doing ISE CLI commands “ssh“ to your SFTP server, “debug copy 7”, “debug transfer 7”, “debug backup-restore all” will show if there is mismatch. If this is the case, you will need to upgrade the SFTP server, there is no tunning on ISE side as far as I know of.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some known issues on ISE 2.3 might be related: CSCvg32162, CSCvg48457 and CSCvg52304.

CSCvg32162 matching best with your description as it also stuck at 75% completion.