Level 1

Thanks everyone in advance.

Here is my situation.

1 Node (Primary) that is version

XXX-ISE01/admin# sh version

Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 2.0

ADE-OS Build Version: 2.0.2.103

ADE-OS System Architecture: i386

Copyright (c) 2005-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.

Hostname: XXX-ISE01

Version information of installed applications

---------------------------------------------

Cisco Identity Services Engine

Version      : 1.1.0.665

Build Date   : XXXXXXXXX

Install Date : XXXXXXXXXX    

Cisco Identity Services Engine Patch

Version      : 3

Install Date : XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I need to pair this (with this one being the primary) with a secondary node running ADE-OS and ISE Application 1.1.4

I get an error suggesting my application server has to be at least the same version to pair the two.

My question is how can I upgrade the primary without losing my configuration and licensing information? Or maybe a better question. I require a scenario that allows me to upgrade the application server and pair to the proposed secondary with minimal downtime.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nate,

You should be able to upgrade from 1.1.0.665 to 1.1.4 directly.  When downloading the ISE 1.1.4 upgrade bundle, it states that a direct upgrade from 1.1.x is supported and that covers 1.1.0.665.  See the attached picture.

Here's a link to the posted Release Notes for 1.1.4:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/release_notes/ise111_rn.html

Note that they state 1.1.x, but were downloaded from the 1.1.4 download page and have been updated to include 1.1.4.

If this helps, please rate the answers and mark the question as Answered.

Good luck and happy upgrades!

Charles Moreton

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nathan,

First thing is to create a backup. You can do this from the UI or the CLI.

In either case, you must have a repository configured on your ISE.

Use this link to configure a repository:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/user_guide/ise_backup.html#wp1066239

Once you have the repository, you can log on to the UI as an Admin.

Choose Administration > System > Maintenance

Then from the left navigation pane, choose Data Management > Administration Node > Full Backup On Demand

The page changes and you can enter the name you want for the backup file. Choose from the available repositories.

If you check the Application-Only Backup, Excludes OS System Data box, then only the application data is backed up. Do not check this box if you want to back up the ADE-OS data as well.

Enter the encryption key to encrypt the backup file and click Backup Now. Once finished, you will receive an alert in the bottom right corner of the page stating “Backup is done successfully”.

There is also the option of backing up using the CLI, and both backup methods are explained in more detail in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/upgrade_guide/upg_comn_scenario.html#wp1057871

Once backed up, you can transfer the new file to the ISE repository and enter the following command from the Cisco ISE CLI:

application upgrade ise-appbundle-1.1.4.218.i386.tar.gz

Once this is done, you should be able to restore the backup that was made earlier.

The upgrade process is detailed in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/upgrade_guide/upg_comn_scenario.html#wpxref25899

Once this is done, your ISEs should be able to pair.

Charles Moreton

Charles,

Good Stuff, thanks for taking the time to write that out. A quick followup. Do you see any requirements or gotchas related specifically upgrading from 1.1.0.665 to 1.1.4 or to your knowledge should I just be able to do a direct upgrade? I'll try to wrangle up the 1.1.4 release notes and read through those as well.

Thanks again,

Nate

Nate,

You should be able to upgrade from 1.1.0.665 to 1.1.4 directly.  When downloading the ISE 1.1.4 upgrade bundle, it states that a direct upgrade from 1.1.x is supported and that covers 1.1.0.665.  See the attached picture.

Here's a link to the posted Release Notes for 1.1.4:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/release_notes/ise111_rn.html

Note that they state 1.1.x, but were downloaded from the 1.1.4 download page and have been updated to include 1.1.4.

If this helps, please rate the answers and mark the question as Answered.

Good luck and happy upgrades!

Charles Moreton

Thanks for your help Charles.

Best Regards,

Nate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: