cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 2.6 to 3.2

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello people i have some questions about the upgrade methods to upgrade 4 nodes(Virtual Nodes) of ise in a medium deployment from 2.6 to 3.2

from what i understand there are 3 method metion on the guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/upgrade_guide/Upgrade_Journey/Cisco_ISE_3-1_Upgrade_Journey.html

vivarock12_0-1724857932083.png

Question 1:

The latest posible upgrade version with one jump is 3.1 so i have to do 2 jump in any case from what i understand am i rigth?

Question 2:

whats the best method for the upgrade, that gives you the least troubleshooting normaly?

The personas we have are PAN/MNT/PSN/Device Admin were not using pxgrid.

we have running 802.1x, Guest Access, BOYD, Tacacs, Posture.

Question 3:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/220195-troubleshoot-identity-services-engine-i.html

vivarock12_1-1724858482809.png

in this page, especialy in that part (Background Information) saids the backup and restore method only applies to cloud deployments if thats true, then i should go for a Legacy Split metho becasuses i have Virtual nodes?

thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...what is the best method for the upgrade, that gives you the least troubleshooting normally?
  - If you want my advice for the best method (without loosing sleep...) ; then I always say : the best method
    is to deploy the new environment separately 'on an easy and quite trajectory' . Standard methodologies from Cisco
    documentation could be involved , or else building the environment from scratch with the needed policies.

It has big benefits : I simply used to change radius servers on NAD's (switches) in an automated manner.
                                   Also you can only do a few first, not having to jump all together into the new ISE environment.

Don't understand me  wrong : ISE is a great and wonderful product with lot's of possibilities.
                                                 But Cisco has documents name '.....Upgrade Journey...' and 'Mastering ISE upgrades'
                                                 which are a race condition for 'business interests...'

Therefore go for the method mentioned as I explained initially.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '