Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 2.7 to 3.x

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

I plan to migrate my ISE 2.7 running in VM to ISE 3.x.

I would like to check the following,

1. Do I need to purchase new components or licenses for me to have a successful upgrade?

2. I believe I need to do some license migration for the ISE 3.x to the new licensing model and to Smart Account. While doing the license migration, can I provision new ISE 3.x VM and connect this to the Smart Account while still running the ISE 2.7 (it is in PAK traditional license)? I believe it will not affect my ISE 2.7 in production because it is in traditional licensing, am I correct?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. As long as you have current valid VM and endpoint licensing, you should not need to purchase anything.

2. No, it will not affect the current PAK-based licenses.

There are other caveats around upgrading from 2.7 to 3.x, depending on which 3.x version you intend to use. You should review and follow the Upgrade Journey document for your target version, including all pre- and post-upgrade steps.

You should also verify that the VM specs you are using are supported in the target version, or whether you need to increase the CPU/Memory (for example, the VM specs for the 3515 platform are no longer supported with newer versions).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. As long as you have current valid VM and endpoint licensing, you should not need to purchase anything.

2. No, it will not affect the current PAK-based licenses.

There are other caveats around upgrading from 2.7 to 3.x, depending on which 3.x version you intend to use. You should review and follow the Upgrade Journey document for your target version, including all pre- and post-upgrade steps.

You should also verify that the VM specs you are using are supported in the target version, or whether you need to increase the CPU/Memory (for example, the VM specs for the 3515 platform are no longer supported with newer versions).