cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does the snmp-server user have to be added to configuration

Ashley Gibbon
Level 1
Level 1

I find that when I upload a whole new config to a router with tftp that I then have to go back and add the following lines

snmp-server user sxxi-sxxs_SNMP=sxxxxxQ SXBI v3 auth md5 TaXXXXXXEsp&chEZ

AND

Enable SSH

crypto key generate rsa

And when you do a show start or run command you do not see the snmp-server user in the configuration.

Is there a better way, what am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A SNMP user should not show in the running-config. Use "show snmp user" instead.

For the SSH it is more difficult to know the reason. Maybe something is not done in the correct order. Like the domain-name has to be written before "crypto key generate rsa", etc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

A SNMP user should not show in the running-config. Use "show snmp user" instead.

For the SSH it is more difficult to know the reason. Maybe something is not done in the correct order. Like the domain-name has to be written before "crypto key generate rsa", etc.

What that means is that a backup of the config is useless for restoring a router it is strange that radius is in the config and local users and passwords, why not snmp user?

So could crypto key generate be in the uploaded config?

Thanks for the reply to confirm what i thought.

Dont know the reason for that, on the ASA the snmp user is showing in the running-config, but not on a router or switch.

The crypto key command is not in the configuration either, but you could add it manually while the config-file is on the computer (and you could do the same the snmp user) and then upload it to the device.