cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 WLC "recommended" AP count?

jhager001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the start of a network build out and a vendor has said they and Cisco recommend only using 25 AP's per converged network due to roaming issues.

I can't find any documentation to support this statement and everything I find about a 3850 says it supports 50 AP's in a converged setup.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/sales-tool-c96-730473.pdf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

yes you are right ,The maximum number of APs supported on the 3850 switch is 50 APs.

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

yes you are right ,The maximum number of APs supported on the 3850 switch is 50 APs.

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

I got that part. Now let me ask this question.

The new building will have 65-70 AP's in it, but it will also have about 9 IDF's, each IDF will host anywhere from 7 - 14 AP's, would this cause an issue being so many AP's but they won't be ran off the same 3850 stack hosting as the WLC?

I believe the current building has about 30 AP's across 3 3850 switch stack hosting as the WLC.

I got in contact with my Cisco Rep, and he said that I may experience some Roaming issue, the best way to go about using so many AP's is to HA pair a set of 5500 series WLC, that would allow coverage up to 500 AP's if I wanted.