Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 switch Active SUP engine failure SNMP Alarm not reporting to NMS Server

vishal agavane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are unable to received Active Supervisory failure alarm to Cisco Prime 2.2 Server, when we do soft reboot or remove Standby SUP engine from Cisco 4507 chassis then alarm report properly however when we tried to do same thing with Active SUP in the chassis then no snmp alarm/Trap/Inform report to Cisco Prime over SNMP.

Core switch :- 4507 with Dual SUP (WS-X45-SUP7-E)

Current IOS :- cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.07.SG.151-2.SG7.bin (IP Base feature set)

If anyone has any knowledge about this issue then kindly advise on the same.

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is your trap config on the 4507?

You might only get an alarm that the standby has gone active.

Thanks for your reply.

I am using SSO mode, Please refer below output of show module cmd, i've measured switchover time which standby SUP take to become active and that was 20-30 Ms..

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
3 Active Supervisor SSO Active
4 Standby Supervisor SSO Standby hot

My NMS server is directly connected on the Core switch, however whenever i removed standby SUP from chassis i got 2 critical alarms one is stating "status changed" and 2nd alarm state "module3/4 removed". Please refer attached screenshot for your reference.

I've worked on many 4500 switches with dual sup and everytime i got these alarms whenever i removed active SUP from the chassis, only difference in this project i've Core switches with IP Based feature set in other project i'd ip services or higher IOS in core switches.

Currently i've 2 nos of core switches in one switch i've "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.03.02.SG.151-1.SG2.bin" IOS with this IOS version i couldn't get any SUP related alarm from the switch, like if i removed standby or active i don't get any alarms from this chassis! so i've updated one Core switch with "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.07.SG.151-2.SG7.bin" IOS and then after i am able to received standby SUP Failure alarm from that chassis! 

Your reply on the same will be appreciated.

Thanks

and when i removed standby sup engine from chassis i got alarm saying Module-3 removed an

Aha, if you have another site where this works, even though it is a different feature set (which surely can not be the cause of this issue), which software version are they running (which this is far more likely to be related to)?

Was the other working site also using sso?

Yes, Other sites also working in SSO mode..

one of the site has "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.02.00.SG.150-2.SG.bin" , other one has "cat4500e-universal.SPA.03.02.05.SG.150-2.SG5.bin"..

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which of the two standby modes are you using?