cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Average or acceptable amount of bogus internet chatter?

brettp
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone knows that the internet is a jungle with an innumerable amount of scanning / hacking hitting just about every public IP out there... but what is an "average" or "acceptable" amount one should expect to see? Of course, there are countless factors to take into account so I suppose there is no real answer, that's why I'm asking for an average. I've never had access to a router that is passing no legitimate traffic until now. We've got a gig link with an /27 network attached (with nothing attached yet... again... this router has nothing connected to it except a link back to the ISP with no real legitimate traffic passing.) There is a constant 100 - 150 kpbs coming across that link of bogus traffic from China, Russia, etc. The highest spike I've seen was 10mbps. There are even some overruns on that interface, so I don't know if there are bursts at times or what. Does this seem normal or did the ISP give me a block that seems to, unluckily, being scanned more than others? Might be a dumb question, but as I said, I've never had access to a router with no real traffic passing and I couldn't find a good answer by searching google. Thanks!

0 Replies 0