cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot modify or create EtherChannels for Catalyst 3750G-48TS in CNA 6.3

systems
Level 1
Level 1

I receive the following Java error when attempting to view existing or add new EtherChannels for our Catalyst 3750G-48TS switch stack in Cisco Network Assistant 6.3

java error

Can someone help me here? Our Catalyst 3750G-48TS stack of 7 switches is currently on software version 12.2(55)SE7, so figure I may need to upgrade, as it may be a bug in the switch firmware... although I see there are 3 different 'latest versions' so I'm not sure which to go for... 12.2.58-SE2(ED), 12.2.55-SE11(ED) or 15.0.2-SE10a(MD)?

Cheers,

Ashley

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes that's lacp so you can set both sides to active and they will form an etherchannel but you need config on Cisco side not sure about the watchguard

on cisco side all you need to do below , or if its an access port set it to switchport mode access , when you log in if you have been using the GUI you will see the config it has already created for other the other port-channels

show etherchannel sum ...this is a good command to check its working , bundled likns have a P beside them when working

interface range g1/0/1 - 2

channel-group 1 mode active

switchport mode trunk

int port-channel 1

switchport mode trunk

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

go for this version , its the safe harbour version , the least amount of bugs after testing , the most stable , only move to v15 if there is a feature you require , v12 is much more stable

c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE11.bin

.....Safe Harbor is a Cisco initiative that provides global financial-services enterprises with a stable Cisco software version of choice.

Thanks! That's really helpful. Is it likely to be a firmware issue that is causing that error to be thrown in CNA?

my opinion its a CNA issue the software is not the best to say the least ,its buggy and there always issues with it , I don't personally use it but I have seen so many variety of bugs with it on the forum 

If you cant get it working just build the ether channel through cli , I can assist you with that but not fixing CNA , even TAC will tell you ..ah its probably the software will be fixed in next release , you could roll back a CNA version to 6.2 or 1 see if the same bug is there may not be

Heh, I did wonder as much. All my switch/router CLI configuration experience is in Vyatta, so these inherited Cisco switches are black magic for me; hence reaching out to a GUI. I'll attempt a firmware update next week.

Thanks for the offer for helping with creating an EtherChannel via the CLI! The downstream devices for which I need to create an EtherChannel are WatchGuard Firebox firewalls. They support 802.3ad; will this allow me to avoid having to manually create an EtherChannel?

yes that's lacp so you can set both sides to active and they will form an etherchannel but you need config on Cisco side not sure about the watchguard

on cisco side all you need to do below , or if its an access port set it to switchport mode access , when you log in if you have been using the GUI you will see the config it has already created for other the other port-channels

show etherchannel sum ...this is a good command to check its working , bundled likns have a P beside them when working

interface range g1/0/1 - 2

channel-group 1 mode active

switchport mode trunk

int port-channel 1

switchport mode trunk

Thanks for those commands - you put me in the right place to start getting a grip of the CLI. I've got a new EtherChannel for the WatchGuard now :)

Using a ping -t test, I can see that traffic continues to flow when one interface gets unplugged. Although I do notice when I unplug one particular interface that the ping is lost momentarily before continuing...but I think that might just be because the cable I'm unplugging is on the same switch in the stack as my traffic was coming from.

You can alter your load balancing in CLI for port-channels its recommended to use this , the reason being its at layer 4 - 7  and works better for LB , that may help it rather than the default LB settings , its good practice to use that anyway with etherchannels

(conf t)port-channel load-balance src-dst-port

Using a ping -t test, I can see that traffic continues to flow when one interface gets unplugged. Although I do notice when I unplug one particular interface that the ping is lost momentarily before continuing...but I think that might just be because the cable I'm unplugging is on the same switch in the stack as my traffic was coming from.

That may be the issue it could be checking STP momentarily hard to say without debugging it  , as long as its only a ping or two you should be fine unless there is highly sensitive apps behind it that would notice a very quick drop , most wont have an issue with it

We're set to src-dst-ip at the moment... so using src-dst-port/MAC address is better? We already have 4 EtherChannels configured (before my time) for our ESXi Blade enclosure, so I don't particularly wish to change the load balance mode.

that's your choice you can set it as you want , im just giving what TAC recommend to us , it worked out a lot better for us in terms of load balancing when your checking the flow of traffic , the issue with use src dst ip , is traffic can constantly use just the same link rather than utilizing both or more in the bundle , kinda not using the LB feature but still you have resiliency with multiple links  , something to check anyway your not just seeing traffic flowing constant on 1 link , it can depend on your architecture too  

Src-dst-ip: Traffic is distributed to bundled links according to source and destination IP address combination. Therefore, in networks where traffic originates from many different sources destined for the same or different destinations, is distributed in a balance way across aggregated links.

• Src-dst-mac: Traffic distribution is based upon source and destination mac-address combination. This method accomplishes fair load distribution only in cases that only Layer 2 switching takes place, and traffic route patterns do not cross router interfaces.

• Src-dst-port: In case that we have most of the traffic traversing constant end-devices distributing traffic based on source and destination ports might be the better solution to achieve better load balancing between aggregated links.