Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950 Smartport Issue

slart1bartfast
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Sorry for the double post, wasn't sure which forum it should be in.

(other post in LAN, Switching and Routing)

I've got a problem with some 2950 Switches..

When trying to configure the Smartports on (either with Cat5 or Fibre Uplinks) the Switches Uplink ports fail and the only way to restore the network is to reset the switches back to factory defaults.

The Smartport setting is as recommended by the Advisor, (all switches on this LAN Segment are Cisco 2950 Series) and there is a Cisco Switch on the Uplinks I am trying to configure.

The end result is the uplinks go from Green to Amber and within Cisco Network Assistant when connected locally (as remotely accessing the switches becomes impossible, no ping reply, no Telnet) it states that the link is disabled.

I have other switches on the network which have their Smartports on the Uplink Ports set to Cisco Switch with no problems.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

3 Replies 3

wowsersusa
Level 1
Level 1

Were you able to solve this issue. We have a new issue where when smart ports have been enabled by CNA the ports go green however I cannot ping switch to switch that are directly connected to each other. However from another switch without smart ports enabled I can ping just fine.

Unfortunately not.

My firm has now put me and my guys through ICND1 (and hopefully ICND2) and has instructed us to stop using CNA "as it puts a lot of garbage into the config"

I'm happier using the IOS through command line now.

Sorry I can't help you further

I know I don't use CNA myself but I have a site that is all they want to use and I have noticed how much garbage it puts in the config. Thank you for your input though.