cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco network assistant failed to get default gateway

Dstevenson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, all.  I’m a young one with experience in the computer science field and looking to expand into the network infrastructure field as well. I’m a newbie to Cisco and the networking community. 

Anyway, I received two Cisco catalyst 2960-s series with Poe+ switches with 48 ports each from a friend two weeks ago. I wanted to experience with them, so hooked up an old hp media center pc to them and retrieved drivers for them and then installed Cisco network assistant 6.3.4 on my pc. I followed all instructions and I waited for it to find the devices. However, all I got was a pop-up that said “Failed to get default gateway. Check your security settings to make sure the current java virtual machine is not prevented from running commands.” I tried multiple times with the same result. I went into internet options tab in control panel and messed around with it, but it remains the same. What can I do to fix this issue and how do I prevent it. I would prefer an expert in this field to answer, as they would know how to fix it yet answer in a way that I could understand. The pc that I’m running is an HP Media Center PC m1070n with windows xp service pack 3 installed if that helps. I also have a 2012 MacBook Pro that I yet have to install the Cisco software.

Thanks, 

Doug Stevenson

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,

Does your switch 2960S has a administratively ip address configured?
Are trying access your switch through the network assistant, right?
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I dont know what the adminstrative ip address is. Yes, i'm trying to access the switches from the network assistant. How do iconfigure the switch with a admin ip address, as i'm pretty sure there is already one on there?

well, if you need access it from network assistant, its necessary that you have a management ip address to access itself.

There are a many tutorials that you can help you, check it:https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/cannot-setup-my-cisco-catalyst-2960-s/td-p/3350851

Here, a initial setup that you can use for help: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/2960s-initial-config/td-p/2358671
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Thank you very much for your assistance. ill update you if i need any other help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: