cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.0 - Email notification filtering of same severity, same category alarms

beitland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello experts,

I have a Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.0 system that I am setting up email notifications for alarms that get registered. It appears the email notifications for alarms can only be set for both alarm severity level and the "Category" in which the alarm is registered. In my case, I would like to send an email notification for a switches CPU exceeding a predefined threshold (alarm severity = critical; alarm category = "switches and hubs") but I would like to filter (not send email notifications) for any alarms that get registered for a physical link up/down notification (alarm severity = critical; alarm category = "switches and hubs" as well).

Under Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Alarms and Events / Email Notification

We are able to select each of the alarm categories, and within each alarm category we can select the severity of alarm that are to trigger an email notification. What I don't see is how to be more granular and only trigger email notifications on a specific or subset of severity level messages within each category. Is there a way to accomplish this?

As I understand it, we can not fire off email notifications based on snmp traps or syslogs directly, but we can configure customized syslog and trap messages that directly correlate to a generated alarm However it appears the lack in granularity of matching on the alarm attributes prevents us from selectively triggering email notifications on a subset of alarms within the save severity/category. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

Brett

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're correct. Prime Infrastructure lacks some of the more granular and customizable features that many competing products offer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card