Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 support non-cisco device monitoring

aghm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My Company is going for Cisco Prime. Can anybody help me if Cisco PI 3.1 support SNMP monitoring for non-Cisco devices listed below?

There are couple of Fortinet devices, Netscaler, IBM switch and Zeatron devices.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

All supported services (Cisco and 3rd parties) are listed into an excel sheet that you can download right here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-device-support-tables-list.html

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I have a document says Cisco PI 3.1 discover SNMP devices and you can upload MIBs as well. What does it mean?

-----------------------------------

Monitoring Third-Party Devices By Polling MIBs

You can design custom MIB polling policies to monitor third-party or Cisco devices and device groups. You can also create custom MIB policies to monitor device features for which Prime Infrastructure doesn’t provide default policies. Using this feature, you can:

• Upload the SNMP MIB for the device type, then choose devices and attributes to poll and the polling frequency.
  • Upload a single MIB definition file or a group of MIBs with their dependencies as a ZIP file.

Note Ensure that you upload all the dependencies of the MIB, before uploading the MIB. You can also upload the MIB along with it's dependencies in a ZIP file.

• Display the results as a line chart or a table.

This feature allows you to easily repeat polling for the same devices and attributes and customize the way Cisco devices are polled using SNMP.

You can create a maximum of 25 custom MIB polling policies. There is no limitation in the number of MIB files uploaded.

To create custom MIB polling policies, follow these steps:

Step 1 Choose Monitor > Monitoring Tools > Monitoring Policies > My Policies, then click Add.

Step 2 From the Policy Types menu, select Custom MIB Polling.

Step 3 Enter a name for the policy.

Step 4 Under the MIB Selection tab, specify the polling frequency and enter the MIB information.

Regardless of the device, the extensions.ZIP,.MIB and.MY are allowed.

• If you are uploading a ZIP file, ensure that all dependent MIB files are either included in the ZIP or already present in the system.
    • Ensure your upload file and the MIB definition have the same name (for example: Do not rename the ARUBA-MGMT-MIB definition file to ARUBA_MGMT). If you are uploading a ZIP file, you may name it as you please, but the MIB files packaged inside it must also follow this convention (for example: MyMibs.zip is acceptable, as long as all MIB files in the ZIP match their MIB names).

Step 5 To test the policy you created on a device before activating it, click the Test tab and select a device on which to test the new policy.

Step 6 Click Save and Activate to immediately activate the policy on the devices specified.

Step 7 To view the MIB polling data, create a generic dashlet (see Creating Generic Dashlets) using the name of the policy that you created.

To view the SNMP polling date for ASR devices, you should use the show platform hardware qfp active datapath utilization | inc Processing command for CPU utilization and show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure exmem statistics | sec DRAM command for memory utilization.

I've not tested it yet but as I understood from a Cisco presentation, you have to import 3rd parties MIB in order to support devices. All 3rd parties supported devices on the excel sheet have been tested in CPI by importing the vendor mib to populate CPI with right infos.

You can try to import a mib from a non listed vendor but it will probably not works. 

Sorry for that answer but this is the only thing I get from Cisco.

Thanks 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question