Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS or Cisco Prime LAN Management? HELP

In my company We are interested add an solution of network management:

some time ago we have installed CiscoWorks LMS 3.2, but we decided install other more modern solution, which solution that recommend me?

Requeriments:

1000 Cisco devices in management.

Regularly perform massive configurations.

Constant Monitoring of the network infraestructure.

Backups of configuration.

We thought in two alternatives:

- Update the current CiscoWorks to version LMS 4.x

- buy the "Cisco Prime LAN Management" Solution

which solution that recommend me?

thank you for your attention.

Kind regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeffersson,

The current product packaging is a bit confusing. Cisco is rebranding all of their management solutions under the Cisco Prime umbrella. All of the Prime products have a common look and feel and leverage certain architectural approaches.  So moving up from LMS 3.2 onto 4.x will put you into Cisco Prime territory.

Within the "Prime" products there are (among others) "Cisco Prime Infrastructure" (also known as PI - 1.2 is the current release) and "Cisco Prime LMS" (4.2.3 is current). Prime Infrastructure (1.0) started out at the successor to Cisco wireless-only management product (NCS) and had been adding features along the way to bring it up to feature parity with LMS for wired infrastructure. It's not quite there just yet (current comparison here) so existing LMS customers are usually advised to stick with the latest version of LMS for now.

Still with me? Good. So the extra twist is that LMS 4.2 is "included" with PI 1.2 licenses - see the guide link below. So if you want LMS 4.x, you actually order PI 1.2 with "Lifecycle" licenses according to the number of devices you are managing. (There are also "compliance" and "assurance" licenses adding those respective new features. Compliance is available as of LMS 4.2 in the CAAM component.  Assurance is pretty much a PI 1.2-only feature.)

So, my recommendation to you would be to upgrade to PI 1.2 and install and use LMS 4.2 (patched to 4.2.3 and updated with all product packages). If you have a VMware setup, the soft apliance (ova file) deployment option is the easiest implementation,

You may find the following two links useful in explaining this from Cisco 's perspective:

LMS Functional Reference

PI Ordering and Licensing Guide

Don't worry - this won't all be on the test.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeffersson,

The current product packaging is a bit confusing. Cisco is rebranding all of their management solutions under the Cisco Prime umbrella. All of the Prime products have a common look and feel and leverage certain architectural approaches.  So moving up from LMS 3.2 onto 4.x will put you into Cisco Prime territory.

Within the "Prime" products there are (among others) "Cisco Prime Infrastructure" (also known as PI - 1.2 is the current release) and "Cisco Prime LMS" (4.2.3 is current). Prime Infrastructure (1.0) started out at the successor to Cisco wireless-only management product (NCS) and had been adding features along the way to bring it up to feature parity with LMS for wired infrastructure. It's not quite there just yet (current comparison here) so existing LMS customers are usually advised to stick with the latest version of LMS for now.

Still with me? Good. So the extra twist is that LMS 4.2 is "included" with PI 1.2 licenses - see the guide link below. So if you want LMS 4.x, you actually order PI 1.2 with "Lifecycle" licenses according to the number of devices you are managing. (There are also "compliance" and "assurance" licenses adding those respective new features. Compliance is available as of LMS 4.2 in the CAAM component.  Assurance is pretty much a PI 1.2-only feature.)

So, my recommendation to you would be to upgrade to PI 1.2 and install and use LMS 4.2 (patched to 4.2.3 and updated with all product packages). If you have a VMware setup, the soft apliance (ova file) deployment option is the easiest implementation,

You may find the following two links useful in explaining this from Cisco 's perspective:

LMS Functional Reference

PI Ordering and Licensing Guide

Don't worry - this won't all be on the test.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card