cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command for showing deprecated commands?

K-Grev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Due to an unforeseen  command loss after an upgrade, we are having to do some investigative research into our system.

People in charge have told me to run the command "show run deprecated" to see the commands lost in the upgrade.

I didn't know this existed but I don't seem to have this command nor can I find it referenced online.

Does anyone know of something similar to this are does such a feature exist?

Thank you

Specifically this is for an ASA5585-X

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have never seen anything like show run deprecated, but it is an interesting idea. There are a number of undocumented commands (they work but are not documented, frequently oriented to troubleshooting, and since they are not documented you can not complain to Cisco if they do not work the way that you want) and this could possibly be one of those.

I think that sometimes as I boot a Cisco device with a config file from a different release I would get messages about commands that were not accepted. Is it possible that during the upgrade process there were some console messages indicating issues with some commands? I wonder if you have a copy of the old config/startup config and did a copy/paste or copy tftp run if you might get messages indicating which of the old commands no longer work?

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like Rick, I'm unaware of a command to show deprecated commands.  BTW, I recall (?), current reference manuals will sometimes will list deprecated and/or no longer supported commands.

Sometimes a newer IOS will automatically upgrade some deprecated commands to the "current" version of the same command.  For such, if you haven't saved the running config since an IOS upgrade, you might also do a "diff" between the start-up config and the running config looking for changed commands.

Again note, the forgoing only works if you have the "before" and "after" config files, and even then, as IOS sometime changes what IOS config commands are suppressed, by default, in a "normal" config display, "diff" may not clearly show deprecated vs. current commands although differences should still be shown.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card