Views
Helpful
Replies

debug ip packet not working

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

I'm trying to debug some traffic on my network by using access-lists and the command debug ip packet detail <acl>, but it just won't show any debugging. It is set up properly according to this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#ts

But I DO get some messages:

pak 19EDD48 consumed in input feature , packet consumed, Access List(8), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0

pak 1A35F08 consumed in input feature , packet consumed, Access List(8), rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0

pak 19F99C8 consumed in input feature , packet consumed, Access List(8),rtype 0, forus FALSE, sendself FALSE, mtu 0

Can it be because I use VLAN Interfaces instead of physical interfaces?

I have tried this on several C3550's with same result.

Any tips?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oystein

When people say that debug is not working, my first reaction is to ask to make sure that they have terminal monitor enabled or that logging buffer is enabled with severity level of debug. But if you are getting some messages then this is not the issue.

My other suggestion is that for debug to report the traffic the CPU must process the packet. Traffic that is forwarded in hardware or in interrupt mode like fast switching will not hit debug. So you may need to assure that the packets are being process switched.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hallo, thanks for answering.

terminal monitor is enabled, and I have line a in the config that says:

logging buffered 51200 debugging

How can I assure that the packets are being process switched then?

Thanks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml

#

Disable fast switching on the interfaces involved. You only see the first packet if fast switching is not disabled.

config interface

no ip route-cache

Thank for answering, but if you've read my post properly, you would have seen that this is already done.

Oystein

I have read (and re-read) your post, and I do not see where you have disabled fast switching/CEF switching and forced process switching of packets. Perhaps you can clarify that for me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: