cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get the list of VRF names configured on Nexus N9K via SNMP

vladakoci
Level 1
Level 1

I run an app that gathers all IP subnets ( IP addresses, subnet masks ) configured on all network devices worldwide within our company .
It uses SNMP.

I would need to add IP subnets defined in non-Default VRFs on Nexus N9K switches.I know how to query entries for a non-Default VRF through SNMP.
Because I need to automate the whole process, first I would need to get the list of all VRFs ( their names ) configured on a switch and query  entries in specific VRFs then by using individual SNMP community strings that include VRF names.

I am searching all available resources, however cannot find anything that would give me a clue.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Vlad

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

http://iphostmonitor.com/mib/CISCO-VRF-MIB.html

I would try snmp-walking : cvVrfName

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks,

This I have done already. I actually walked through the whole 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9 and there is nothing regarding VRF names in it.

Seems N9K to be a specific platform.

- It might be that the relevant MIB is not supported on that platform; although I am not 100% sure of that.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Opened a ticket at Cisco and got the info:
There is no plan to add this feature as per road-map on Nexus.
There is a workaround that might work for someone, please see below, however it does not work for me as I need to fully automate on a lot of switches:
  1. Automatically get the list of names of VRFs configured on each switch.
  2. Automatically configure snmp communities, snmp context and mib mapping based on the #1 above.
  3. Automatically get some important information from individual VRFs through 'per-VRF' snmp communities.
Workaround:
BRU-N9K3-1# sh run | i vrf
vrf context name_a
vrf context name_b
vrf context name_c
BRU-N9K3-1# sh run snmp | i context
snmp-server context test1 vrf name_c
snmp-server context test2 vrf name_b
snmp-server context test3 vrf name_c
snmpwalk -v2c -c public   10.48.50.165   1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.468.1.1.1.2
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.468.1.1.1.2.5.116.101.115.116.49 = STRING: "name_c"
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.468.1.1.1.2.5.116.101.115.116.50 = STRING: "name_b"