cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How data move on every layer. According OSI

Rishi.WWN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone, I was watching a video about, how data moves on different layers of OSI. So he said. When you ping from pc10 to pc20  the ICMP protocol generates an echo 8 message and hands over it to layer 3. Layer 3 adds IP header and hands over it to layer 2. and layer 2 adds ethernet header and hands over it to the physical layer. and physical layer place it on a career. 

But my question is where the presentation layer and session layer and transport layer.

Please let me know guys. that would be very helpful for me.

Thanks 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two protocols that are close to all our hearts: HTTP and DNS. The application payloads of these protocols need to pass through each layer of the OSI stack.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the "real world", there might not be many cases, or even of any, of actual usage of all seven of the OSI layers, as distinctly implemented independent layers, used by multiple independent clients.  As you note, layers 1 though 3 are almost always used.  Layer 4, often has much usage via protocols like TCP and UDP.

Something like HTTP might be considered (and used) as layer 7, but perhaps unlike Seb, I believe most real world usage of something like HTTP bypasses layers 5 and 6, and next uses layer 4 (TCP).

Remember we refer to the OSI model, because it's an approach, for building/using a network, not an actual required way to build/use a network.  Also consider the TCP/IP model, which probably more closely resembles "real" networks by generally combining OSI's top three layers into just one.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

ICMP is an Internet Layer protocol (or Network Layer if referencing the OSI model). The ICMP header does not require interpretation at the OSI Host Layers and as such there is no processing above OSI Layer 3.

cheers,

Seb.

Hello Seb Rupik,

I am so happy to see your reply.

Could you please let me know any protocol that uses all layers so that I can understand the working of every layer of OSI?

Thanks 

Rishi

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two protocols that are close to all our hearts: HTTP and DNS. The application payloads of these protocols need to pass through each layer of the OSI stack.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the "real world", there might not be many cases, or even of any, of actual usage of all seven of the OSI layers, as distinctly implemented independent layers, used by multiple independent clients.  As you note, layers 1 though 3 are almost always used.  Layer 4, often has much usage via protocols like TCP and UDP.

Something like HTTP might be considered (and used) as layer 7, but perhaps unlike Seb, I believe most real world usage of something like HTTP bypasses layers 5 and 6, and next uses layer 4 (TCP).

Remember we refer to the OSI model, because it's an approach, for building/using a network, not an actual required way to build/use a network.  Also consider the TCP/IP model, which probably more closely resembles "real" networks by generally combining OSI's top three layers into just one.

6khas1123
Level 1
Level 1

What possibly will paintings in any way of life is "show, don´t inform" and allow the user to get first-hand impressions approximately the blessings of something new via finding the form page (developing?) use-instances wherein a new era is beneficial.