cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how important is networking (as in routing not meeting people) knowledge?

tejas17
Level 1
Level 1

More interested in math and programming, but am taking some networking to kick the tires, and holy smokes, is this boring. I can't pay attention for more than 30 seconds.

Can I get input from career folks?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This is more a personal remark,  then a technical question on Cisco products and components. Note that this forum (usually) deals with the latter.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I acknowledge the perspective of @marce1000. But I also think that this Community is a valid place for someone who is thinking about a possible career in networking to ask questions about that possible career. So I offer these comments in hope that they would be helpful:

- I have had a good career in networking. I spent time in several other career paths before I came to networking. I have spent 26 years working in the field and still find it interesting (and sometimes exciting). It has been fulfilling for me.

- But what works for some people does not work for other people. If you find it difficult to pay attention for more than 30 seconds that might be a sign that this is not the field for you.

- But difficulty in paying attention might also be a sign that you are still dealing at a surface level with concepts that may not make a lot of sense at first. Perhaps if you stick with it a while you will get deeper into some aspect and find that part able to hold your attention. Or perhaps a different class or a different approach in how to learn it might change your opinion.

- Ultimately I hope that you do find something that is a good fit and that holds your attention and that you enjoy doing for a career. 

HTH

Rick