Views
Helpful
Replies

how to configure Device discovery in LMS 4.0 Cisco works

Edgar2301
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I´m getting started on ciscoworks and i trying to configure a device discovery to start but i have some questions about how configure this tool exist 5 parameters that i have to configure to start the device discovery some of points i understand but i have some dudes ,it´s really helpful that somebody that already configure this explain it to me

Configuring Discovery Module Settings

Configuring Seed Device Settings

Configuring SNMP Settings

Configuring Discovery Filter Settings

Configuring Global Discovery Settings

Viewing Discovery Settings Summary

I want to add devices that found neighbors via  CDP son in the configuring discovery module setting i choice that option

In the configuring seed device setting i choose DCR as seed device that means those devices already in the DCR start discovering from those devices but you can add more seed devices how i can add a seed device ? with ip addres or something like this? and this device have to be in the DCR already or not?

The configuring SNMP settings i have some dudes this community correspond to what device? the devices that i want to add ? and in the field target name what ip addres have to be? and if i have differents communitys of snmp in my devices what device and snmp comunity have to configure in this parameter

The rest of parameter i´m not sure how it´s works

thx yours  answers

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005.  This doc explains how Discovery works as well as all of the options.  I think your questions will be answered there.

When it comes to your SNMP settings, you can add multiple "*.*.*.*" entries with different community strings if you do not know which devices will be using which communities.  However, if you can specify different targets like 172.*.*.* -> public, 10.*.*.* -> mycommunity, etc. then that can improve Discovery performance as multiple strings don't need to be tried for all devices.