cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to enable Autoconfig feature on Cisco 2911?

roman.kuchin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have many unconfigured Cisco 2911 routers and I need to load initial config to them with TFTP. Startup config is empty.

The problem is that routers aren't making any attempts to request IP address from DHCP or network-confg file from TFTP.

I've checked many times with Wireshark and with "debug ip packet detail" on another Cisco router with DHCP and TFTP configured and there is no traffic, but interfaces are up even on uncofigured side.

After the load it asks for entering setup dialog, but it doesn't ask about termination of Autoinstall.

Is this feature even supported on that routers? If yes, how to enable it? I failed to find any info why it can not to work.

Some outputs from unconfigured router, 5 mins from start:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: no

Press RETURN to get started!

Router>en
Router#sh startup-config
startup-config is not present
Router#sh ver | i Version|register
Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.5(3)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Configuration register is 0x2142
Router#

4 Replies 4

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
try check this link:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/ffun_r/frf007.html

Focus on section with command "service config"

That link tells that "service config" is activated if there is no startup config. Exactly like I have. My question is why it doesn't.

I never use this method so I don´t have any practical experiences but you can try use command "service config" with "boot network..." and "boot host..." commands where you can specify location of configuration files.

I read that "service config" command is disabled by default so please type it explicitly.

That definitely will work, but it requires console connection for every router and manual configuration, which is inappropriate in my case, too many devices. 

Initial problem was that every manual about Autoconfig tells that if there is no startup-config, a router will activate "service config", request address through DHCP and try to find "network-confg" file on TFTP server.

That works perfectly on 2811 routers, but doesn't on 2911.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: