How to enable internet on an interface

systems100
Level 1
Level 1
2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That's a bit of a short-cut I guess. An interface know nothing about Internet. Only devices. You need to setup network segments, addressing , dhcp services , a routing solution to an internet provider, mostly controlled by firewalling solutions. Basically elaborate your knowledge on networking.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As noted by Marc, nothing special about actually enabling an interface to use the Internet.

However, like any other network, that interface needs an address that's valid for usage within that network; and for where located within the network.

When using the Internet, especially when using IPv4, we often have internal/local/private network addresses which, by themselves, are not valid to use on the Internet.  So, what happens is some form of address translation from the internal/local/private network address to one, possible more, valid Internet addresses.  This is done using either NAT or PAT.

Further, this the whole world can use the Internet, somewhere between our internal/local/private network, we often have a special security device, usually a firewall and/or proxy, to control traffic to/from the Internet.