cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to know that the router is connected to server

adelmsk1963
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, hope all of you and your famelies are well, my name is Adil and I am working on a project I have a question that give some headice to answer it as I search and ask alot but didnt find the answer, I put it here hope I find some answer or a guid to the answer the queastion is:

(How to know that the router is connected to server?)

What I mean is that I want to check a network consist of number of routers and some devices one or more of these devices are Servers, I want to know which router is connected to a Server.

I have try the packet tracer for Cisco and try some commandes such as (show ip route) ans (show cdp neighbour) and (show arp details) I didnt find any defferent between the router that connect to a server and a router connect to a client computer

I hope my question is clear for all and hope to find some help

Thank you in advanced for all

4 Replies 4

swasthik_ms87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You want to know on which switch the Server is connected on ? I don't think they all the servers will be connected to Router. So if you want to know on which Switch the Server is connected on, you should follow mac address table, if you know the Server MAC address, it would be easy to find out depends on the access switches.

Regards

Thank you for answering, I know that I can do this if I know the mac address for the server, but what I need is to check it even if I dont know the mac address

Thank you

Hi,

I am not really sure you could find Server connected Port if you don't have a MAC Entry in the switch. If you know the Server IP addres, you could find MAC from its default gateway and follow L2 Path.

I am not sure if this is you are really looking for.

Thanks

No this not what I am looking for, I know all of what you said with all respect, I need a way to know that port is connecter to a server not a client even if I dont know the ip server, I am looking for a way to make defference between a router(port) that connect to server from a port connect to other kind of devices and I hope I will find a way 

Thank you