Views
Helpful
Replies

How to ping Cisco Router <serious>

Vintage89
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I got a question: how to ping a cisco router?

let's assume that the address of this router is x.x.x.x and maybe mask or gatway is y.y.y.y

And now what?
I'm on a computer with Windows.
1. Should I start cmd and type: ping x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
-> I tried and didn't get any answer ...
2. should i use hmm - i dont know: PuTTY or smth?
3. Should I assume <guess yourself> that the router is protected from pinging on the network?
-> what should I do?
-> what to answer?

How would a professional network engineer answer this question???
->would i use cmd and Telenet/SSH ?? and if it does not work, I say that the device is protected against 'pinging' and nothing can be done?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to ping the router you would not use PuTTy or smth and your would not use telnet or SSH. The first step would be to open a cmd window and ping x.x.x.x (dont bother with y.y.y.y). If it is not successful there are several things you could do to investigate the problem. First verify that the IP address of your PC is valid. Is the address of your PC in the same subnet as the x.x.x.x address? If they are in the same subnet try the ping again and immediately show the arp table of the PC (arp -a) then look and see if there is an entry for x.x.x.x. If there is an arp entry for x.x.x.x then the PC and the router are communicating successfully and there is something about ping that is not working, and that probably would be a security policy on the router. If the address of the PC is not in the same subnet as x.x.x.x then try tracert to x.x.x.x. Identify the last device to respond to traceroute and see what you can find about that device. 

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to ping the router you would not use PuTTy or smth and your would not use telnet or SSH. The first step would be to open a cmd window and ping x.x.x.x (dont bother with y.y.y.y). If it is not successful there are several things you could do to investigate the problem. First verify that the IP address of your PC is valid. Is the address of your PC in the same subnet as the x.x.x.x address? If they are in the same subnet try the ping again and immediately show the arp table of the PC (arp -a) then look and see if there is an entry for x.x.x.x. If there is an arp entry for x.x.x.x then the PC and the router are communicating successfully and there is something about ping that is not working, and that probably would be a security policy on the router. If the address of the PC is not in the same subnet as x.x.x.x then try tracert to x.x.x.x. Identify the last device to respond to traceroute and see what you can find about that device. 

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the clarification :)

I am glad that our responses were helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
first thing you should check is whether you have the right to access it in first place
ping is just 1 check but if your being blocked by icmp ssh or telnet will hardly work either , you probably need to be on the correct mgmt subnet to reach it or access it , get console access is another option router may not be setup for vty remote access so you would need to connect locally
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: