Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS TCL and UDP communications

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

For my IPv6 tunnel to keep alive I need to implement some sort of heartbeat protocol. The protocol is easy, send 1 static line of text via UDP.

Now, whould it be possible to implement such protocol using IOS, TCL and the IOS kron scheduler?

I've got plenty programming background but don't know if the TCL implementation supports some sort of UDP communications.

Maybe one of you guys know...

Regards,

Erik Tamminga

AXIANS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, no. Currently, the TCL engine in IOS cannot open UDP sockets. I have a bug opened requesting this feature, but it is not implemented yet.

Your options are to use either a ping (i.e. exec the ping command) or open a TCP socket. Either of those can be scripted using TCL and kron or the Embedded Event Manager (EEM).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, no. Currently, the TCL engine in IOS cannot open UDP sockets. I have a bug opened requesting this feature, but it is not implemented yet.

Your options are to use either a ping (i.e. exec the ping command) or open a TCP socket. Either of those can be scripted using TCL and kron or the Embedded Event Manager (EEM).

Thanks for your reply.

FYI: The protocol in question I was thinking of implementing is the SixXS heartbeat protocol. http://www.sixxs.net/tools/heartbeat/

I'll keep an eye on future updates then...

Regards,

Erik

Hi, Erik:

Are you still working on the project and are you still interested in TCL UDP support? I am the product manager covering TCL and we plan to add the UDP support for TCL next year. Will you be interested in becoming our Beta customer for it?

Thanks.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Well, I'm not actively working on this approach anymore, but UDP support is still very welcome.

Currently I've got an other machine doing the heartbeat but I still would like to do this on IOS to not have the need for this other machine, which sole purpose is to keep the heartbeat alive.

So, yes, I'd like to do the testing for you. No problem. Offline from the office, so my platform is a c871w. Let me know as soon as you've got something worth testing.

Regards,

Erik

etamminga@axians.nl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco