event manager applet EIGRPNeighborChange
event syslog pattern "%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE"
action 1.0 info type routername
action 2.0 cli command "enable"
action 2.1 cli command "show ip eigrp nei | inc 10."
action 2.2 wait 5
action 3.0 regexp " [0-9.]+ " "$_cli_result" result
action 3.1 if $_regexp_result eq "0"
action 4.0 mail server "SERVER" to "TO" from "FROM" subject "$_info_routername on Backup" body "Current EIGRP Neighbors: $_cli_result" source-address 1.1.1.1
action 4.1 syslog msg "Eigrp alert: backup email sent"
action 5.0 else
action 5.1 mail server "SERVER" to "TO" from "FROM" subject "$_info_routername on Primary Circuit" body "Current EIGRP Neighbors: $_cli_result" source-address 1.1.1.1
action 5.2 syslog msg "Eigrp alert: Primary circuit up email sent"
action 6.0 end

The email comes through with the following body:

Current EIGRP Neighbors:

show ip eigrp nei | inc 10.

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

AAA is enabled on the router and I have tried to add bypass authentication, but had the same results.

Embedded Event Manager Version 4.00
Component Versions:
eem: (rel9)1.2.8
eem-gold: (rel1)1.0.2
eem-call-home: (rel2)1.0.4
Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.06.05E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW this did work on a 810 router without issue.

The final resolution was to use bypass authorization as well as a session cli username.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try removing bypass auth and configure the event manager session cli username.  Then enable "debug event manager action cli" and look at the output.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's bypass authorization, but I don't see that in the applet configuration.  If you have AAA command authorization configured, you will either need to add "bypass auth" to the applet config line or configure "event manager session cli username USER" where USER is a username authorized to run all of the CLI commands.

My other question is does this command work manually from enable mode?  It really should if you have EIGRP configured, but it doesn't hurt to test it to make sure.

Joe, 

Thanks for responding. Yes, I have added the bypass without success. The way I have been testing it as follows, and then manually running the event.

event manager applet EIGRPNeighborChange bypass authorization
event none
action 2.2 wait 5
action 4.0 mail server "SERVER" to "TO" from "FROM" subject "$_info_routername on Backup" body "Current EIGRP Neighbors: $_cli_result" source-address 1.1.1.1
action 5.0 else
action 5.1 mail server "SERVER" to "TO" from "FROM" subject "$_info_routername on Primary Circuit" body "Current EIGRP Neighbors: $_cli_result" source-address 1.1.1.1
action 6.0 end
On your second question, yes this command works in enable and normal modes.

Try removing bypass auth and configure the event manager session cli username.  Then enable "debug event manager action cli" and look at the output.

Okay, I think I may have found the issue and will continue to research. 

From the logs: 

show ip eigrp nei
Jan 23 19:33:02.870: %HA_EM-6-LOG: EIGRPNeighborChange : DEBUG(cli_lib) : : OUT : Command authorization failed.

This is using AAA and the local account is disabled in tacacs. I believe I read that I can restrict a vty for just the EEM and use local auth for it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Yes, you can.  See the instructions in EEM Best Practices .

Joe, a mixture of what you suggested worked perfectly. I had to add the username AND the bypass AAA. 

event manager session cli username "cisco" privilege 15
event
manager applet EIGRPNeighborChange authorization bypas
event syslog pattern "%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE"
action 2.2 wait 5
action 5.0 else
action 6.0 end

Thanks for all the help!