cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 rebuild

Alun Morley
Level 1
Level 1

Im looking to perform a full rebuild of our LMS 4.1 soft appliance.

It failed a while back with DCR server errors and despite a lot of effort and trawling through the support community it still very broken. - There are no backups.

Has anyone done, or does anone know the best way to do a 'factory reset' so to speak.

I dont mind rebuilding from scratch, but am slightly concerned over any licensing issues that may pop up.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rebuild from scratch as 4.2 and update to 4.2.5 with the latest device packages would be the best course of action.

Assuming you have support, you can open a TAC case to get the license re-issued for the new Universal Device Identifier (UDI) that a new server would have.

If only I had support......

Thanks Marvin :)

What platform are you on - Windows or soft appliance?

Are you tied to LMS or can you consider switching over to Prime Infrastructure?

PI is closer in feature parity these days and is about neck and neck with LMS at this point. There a few glaring omissions (automated syslog actions, no CiscoView, no netshow) but some other things have improved quite a bit (topology, compliance checking, EoX reporting etc.). Plus PI has all the wireless bits that LMS does not have at all.

...and then there's SolarWinds etc. ;)

Its all down to money Im afraid. LMS was specced, so LMS it is. At least for now.

OK. I saw in your original post you mentioned soft appliance. LMS licenses are issued "node locked". They are linked to the VUDI of the VM.

I'm pretty sure a new VUDI would be generated on a new VM build.

You might have luck with reinitializing the database from the cli. See the procedure documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4-2/user/guide/admin/admin/appendixcli.html#21059

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card