cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS - Internal CSU/DSU monitoring question

tadams7541
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about LMS's ability to monitor internal CSU/DSU's.

We're thinking about replacing all of our external CSU/DSU's with internal Cisco CSU/DSU's in all of our routers. I was wondering if any of the LMS versions 3.1, 3.2, or 4.0 have the ability to monitor or trap on circuit errors from that CSU/DSU. I have not worked on a router with a CSU/DSU in it yet, so I'm just unsure of all the logs that may come from it. Does syslog contain logs on circuit errors that LMS will recieve?

We're looking to use the NM1-T3 CSU/DSU module if that helps answer any of these questions. I couldn't find anything on it in the documentation. We're currently running LMS 2.6, but if this requires 3.2 we can move to that.

Thank you guys so much for the help. This forum has always been so great for these types of questions

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no CSU/DSU specific portions of LMS.  However, as you know, LMS can process syslog messages and perform actions based on patterns in those messages.  I don't know off hand of the specific sysog messages related to this NM.  However, you might try asking about those on the WAN Routing community, or look through the system error messages guide on Cisco.com for your version of IOS.

Another option is you can use the Embedded Event Manager on the device to run CLI commands (i.e. show commands), parse the output, and produce syslog messages that can be processed by LMS.  This way, if there is a specific show command output you want to monitor, you can do that, and still have RME take action.

While LMS 2.6 has all of the syslog hooks you'll need, LMS 3.2 (and 4.0) has the Health and Utilization Monitor feature (called Performance Monitor in LMS 4.0) that will allow you to poll MIB objects on your device and take action based on thresholds being crossed.  If your device and IOS support the CISCO-ICSUDSU-MIB, there are some good error related objects there you could poll using HUM (e.g. the objects in the ciscoICsuDsuT1StatusTable).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no CSU/DSU specific portions of LMS.  However, as you know, LMS can process syslog messages and perform actions based on patterns in those messages.  I don't know off hand of the specific sysog messages related to this NM.  However, you might try asking about those on the WAN Routing community, or look through the system error messages guide on Cisco.com for your version of IOS.

Another option is you can use the Embedded Event Manager on the device to run CLI commands (i.e. show commands), parse the output, and produce syslog messages that can be processed by LMS.  This way, if there is a specific show command output you want to monitor, you can do that, and still have RME take action.

While LMS 2.6 has all of the syslog hooks you'll need, LMS 3.2 (and 4.0) has the Health and Utilization Monitor feature (called Performance Monitor in LMS 4.0) that will allow you to poll MIB objects on your device and take action based on thresholds being crossed.  If your device and IOS support the CISCO-ICSUDSU-MIB, there are some good error related objects there you could poll using HUM (e.g. the objects in the ciscoICsuDsuT1StatusTable).

Thanks for your help! I'll take this information and go from here. We should be able to do what we need based on the info you provided.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: