cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging login attempts to syslog

jason.eberhard
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway possible to do this? I have my switches and routers logging to a syslog server but generally the only way I know that someones been in there is the syslog that is generated when they leave configuration mode. I'd really like to be able to log all loging attemps successful or unsuccessful to the routers and switches.

I'm using RSA/ACE via Radius to authenticate users to the devices.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

I do not believe that there is a way to send this information to syslog.

I am accomplishing the same objective at a customer site using aaa accounting. We generate an aaa accounting record to our ACS server for each login so we do have a record of who logged in to any of our routers or switches (and time and date and address from which they logged in). Also our ACS server maintains a record of every failed login attempt. Our ACS server is running tacacs but I assume that the same capabilities are available in radius.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Rick. I am using aaa accouting right now for the logins but I'm unable to display that info in my monitoring program so thats the reason I'm looking for a syslog solution.

I did come up with using an ACL on the VTY's and logging those connections. It's not entirely what I was hoping for but it works.

Jason

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card