cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Most MLS Switches you interact with on productions as an MSP Eng.?

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

I am asking this because I am not in touch with the real market as of now, and I just want to gain some insights about how MSPs in the US usually implement their projects and their clients, and I know it all depends on the company policy, I want to know what your company is usually go for, what your experiences are..

I have a question about WS-c45xx, this topic has no focus only on ws-c45xx series, but I am curious about that, mostly because there is not that much of a price difference between stacking c3800 or paying a one time chassis fee for 4500.

1) how often can you find them on different productions out there? are they deprecated or considered not an optimal/best option?(aside from their VSS capability, I mean when there is no need for that many ports that you would be needing the same throughput power as a single switch for)

2) how about speaking of new implementation(year 2019, these days) for a typical(I know you will say it depends, but I mean typical) large hospital, they don't usually go with C4500? so What would they go with, what brand, what series?(Ofc I am asking about distribution and core layers )

3) are C4500 or C6500 mountable? and are they usually being mounted to a rack on production?

4) other than VSS which is huge, is there any other reason that a design has to go with C45xx, C65xx?

5) what MLS switches(brand and series) you usually find on medium to large business?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You would want to be using 9k catalyst now rather than 4k/6k now or 3k series , 9300/9200 modular , 9400s , 9500s and the newer 9600s out i think in August , these are the newer replacements for those platforms , you would get a much longer EOL out of them , the other will be on the way to retirement over the next few years with these platforms now out

This is a good tool for selecting switches based on requirements
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/switch-selector.html

that link was great actually,

and I found 9600 there too and I tried to add that old school WS-C4503,

but when I search for 4500 there are new switches that are white and they don't have those two big fans, and black box and they look different,

so these are new 4500 series?

I want to know what were the major updates here, what is different between these white ones and the old black model? how can I find that?