cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MultiServer Setup Application Registration

helexis
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little confused in the Application Registration process.

I struggle with what applications to register on the master and whether they should be imported from templates or from the remote server option (because I seem to be able to register remote apps using either option). I also can't decide if the master applications need to be registered with the hostname or the FQDN.

The master won't allow you to register Common Services or Setup Center but it will allow me to register CM and IPM which are all its local apps.

Clarification of this process and the consequences of each different setup directly affect the links available in Device Center. I also find it matters which Device Center you open the master or the slave via a remote portlet. The slave appears properly. In the master's Device Center the top half empty is empty, solid grey.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All locally installed applications are already registered on the master. Any applications you wish to appear on the master's portal must be registered using the remote server option.

The applications must be registered with the hostname that was used when you accepted that peer server's certificate. By default, this is the short hostname (which is also the same hostname that appears in the server's SSL certificate by default).

Again, the master will already have the local apps registered. This includes Common Services and Setup Center. If for some reason, these applications are lost from the local server's registry, they must be re-registered from the command line using a procedure from TAC.

Problems with Device Center can be related to hostname problems. This is why it's best to register remote apps with the short hostname. Another problem which can affect Device Center is having HUM installed with an expired evaluation license. In that case, you must either install a valid purchased license for HUM, or uninstall HUM.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All locally installed applications are already registered on the master. Any applications you wish to appear on the master's portal must be registered using the remote server option.

The applications must be registered with the hostname that was used when you accepted that peer server's certificate. By default, this is the short hostname (which is also the same hostname that appears in the server's SSL certificate by default).

Again, the master will already have the local apps registered. This includes Common Services and Setup Center. If for some reason, these applications are lost from the local server's registry, they must be re-registered from the command line using a procedure from TAC.

Problems with Device Center can be related to hostname problems. This is why it's best to register remote apps with the short hostname. Another problem which can affect Device Center is having HUM installed with an expired evaluation license. In that case, you must either install a valid purchased license for HUM, or uninstall HUM.

Thank you! This is what I suspect and very helpful. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: