cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need your suggestions please for decision making

shovan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, can I start study networking at age 48? 

If yes, can I get job on that field, after certification or else?

Passed out mechanical engineering in year 1997, having engineering job experience more than 20 years. Also pass out MCA from open university in year 2007. So studied networking books only to pass exam, But no working experience in dedicated IT field.

Thank you

Roy

6 Replies 6

Hi @shovan 

How easy or how difficult may depend on which place in the world you live but surely you can start with 48. Many places are running out of IT professional and if you can do the job, your age will not matter.

The problem is that for a start you may need to accept an underpaid  position in order to get experience and  not everyone can accpet that in order to promote the career change.

Hi @flavio

Thank you so much for your reply and encouraging suggestion.

I live in India. Sorry to mention that before. 

As a beginner, which CISCO exam should I prepare for? Kindly advice.

Thanking you for your valuable time. With Warm regards,

Shovan

India seems to be a great place for an IT career, although I dont know the Country unfortunatelly. I work for an India Company currently and we can tell based on the number of companies and great profissionals from India working in so many organization around the world.

For a start, I would recommend the certification 200-301.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/ccna-exam-topics?ccid=ccna&dtid=website&oid=cdc-ccna-exam

Thank you so much for your recommendation and link. Let me check the link for syllabus and all. I have a gut feeling I should take the challenge. I hope to succeed with the help of kind-hearted people like you.

Just go for it. Use PacketTracer as much as you can cause it gives you "hands on" experience. 

Count one me and the community for any help.

Wish you best of luck.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot opine about India, but in the US, believe age discrimination is common, although illegal.

Lot's of reasons for this, from the employer's perspective, and it isn't just your salary, but also many other factors related to your "cost" or "benefit" to your employer. 

Factors such as: are you more likely to "sick out"?  Be more reluctant to work 80 hours weeks (salaried, of course)?  Question the actual "grand plan", from on-high, even if you seen same crash-and-burn multiple times, elsewhere, before?  Suggest other possible approaches, which weren't invented here (again, which you may have seen work well).  Etc.

In addition to the forgoing, when changing career paths, there's often, I believe, some "taint", like what's wrong with you?  Couldn't cut it in your prior career?

Basically, there's a reason why militaries like to get recruits at 18, it's not just their energy, but they are often very malleable.  Laugh - "there's the right way, the wrong way and the army way".

Now the forgoing doesn't mean starting a fresh career track at 48 is impossible, but although on the "visible" side, you might appear a better choice for the job than a 20 year old candidate, the above "non-visible" considerations often come into play too.  Again, it's not impossible, just harder then what it appears it should be.

Certifications, alone, don't get you jobs, especially w/o actual experience, but they can be tie breakers and/or get you into one resume stack, being reviewed, before those without a certificate get reviewed.  In many way, much like college degrees, and obtained from where, although not quite the same level of importance.

On the college degree comparison, Cisco certificates would be like a degree from a "name" school and CCNA like an associate degree, a CCNP like a Bachelor's or Master's degree and an CCIE like a Doctor's degree.

It wouldn't hurt to obtain a CCNA, now.  If you obtained a CCNP or even CCIE, without any professional work experience, many would think you might only be good at/for passing tests.  (A CCNA now, indicates you have good basic networking knowledge; you should be able to perform simple tasks and learn from more experienced network engineers.)

Anyway, again, not impossible, just more difficult than when you're 23 (as if that wasn't hard enough).

Keep trying, make yourself as "attractive" (for the job) as possible, ask for lower salary (then going rate for such a position) because of your inexperience.  (Do not mention expecting a salary increase as you gain experience.  Either employer will do that, if they recognize your increase in your value, or time to shop for a new position.)