Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Topology

Good afternoon,

I have recently started a new job, so have inherited a network.  I have attached the network topology that I have inherited.

Switches 1, 2 and 3 are in the same building.  Switch 4 is in a different building connected by fibre (about 20 meters away so not far).  All switches have 1gb fibre sfp's that connected them together.  There is physically a fibre connect between switch 1 (Port 52) and switch 2 (port 51) but have no connectivity lights.

My question(s) is, is this the best setup for a 4 switch network?  Should I enable to link between switch 1 and 2 if it isn't already and how would I do it if I need to?

Thanks,

Graham

1 Reply 1

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi [@db.graham.newman]  '

It's look good & it's depend that how you wants to configure your network & it's depend on your network utilization demand. If all the switches working normally then there is no need to connect SW1 to SW2. 

If STP is not running on the switches then connecting SW1 with SW2 start creating loop in the network. If you want to connect SW1 to SW2 then create VLAN's on switches & configure per-vlan Spanning tree protocol in order to stop looping.

Kind Regards'