cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New LMS4.0.1 Install. Separate DFM server?

amdi
Level 1
Level 1

I am about to do a new install of LMS 4.0.1.  I've been quite used to the old school CiscoWorks2000 and on but this is a new "animal."

We have typically broken our NMS into two servers:  One handling most of the Common Services, RME, Campus Manager, etc and the other server specifically handling the DFM.  In all the installation documents, getting started, using, maintaining documents I see no mention of a DFM server.

If this is the case, what can I do with our extra server?  Is LMS4.0.1 modular enough so that I can install RME and other components on the other server and/or can I just install another LMS and have them mirror each other?

I hope one of you in the ether knows.  If not, no problem, TAC is always there. 

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS 4.0 is starting to blur the lines between application boundaries.  The idea is to make LMS more task-oriented as opposed to application oriented.  Therefore, you cannot choose what "applications" to install.  You always get all of them.  However, you can choose to disable certain management features (aka LMS 3.x applications) on a per-installation basis.  If you go to Admin > System > Device Management Functions, you can disable all of the functions except the one(s) you want (and Inventory and Config).  For your "DFM" server, disable all but Fault Management.

As for what you want to do, it depends.  The underlying DFM components have not changed, so if you saw better performance by separating the servers, you can still do that in LMS 4.0.  Certainly if you want to manage a different set of devices in Fault Management vs. the other management functions, you will need another server in LMS 4.0.  License-wise, if you choose to mirror the servers you will need another license.  If you are going to separate management functions, one license will do.