Replies

NIC teaming

rs.amal.rs
Level 1
Level 1

Need to implement NIC teaming in a server

The server is 2003 and Broadcom NICs

Purpose of teaming: Load balancing and failover

Need to know any specific precautions to be taken/or configuration changes in switch/server  to configure NIC teaming other than when using Broadcom Advanced Control Suite for teaming.

3 Replies 3

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

Just read the available options and make sure you configure your switch appropriately for the option you choose.  BACS for the server NICs is fine.  I've used it and it was pretty straight-forward, though the terminology they use may be a little different than what you're used to.  Just set up your switchports to a compatible configuration, if necessary.  If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  Good luck!

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your reply

Since I am doing this teaming for the first time could be more specific in the configurations which is to be done on the switch

It really depends on the teaming mode chosen on the server side.  I don't have one in front of me, but referenced some information on the Broadcom site to remember the modes (and terminology) available:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/management_applications.php

Let's say for example you use "Link Aggregation and Generic Trunking", which conforms to 802.3ad (LACP).  Set up your NICs for this teaming method, and configure your switchports for LACP.  As an example, say you have four ports on your server connected to fa0/1, 0/2, 0/3, and 0/4 on your switch:

conf t

interface range fa0/1 - 4

channel-group 1 mode active

("active" configures the ports for active LACP negotiation)

no shut

Sorry I don't have additional information on the specific language/configuration on the server side.  I wouldn't be able to get in front of a BACS system until Monday.  If you need additional information on that side before then, perhaps another helpful chap will come along to assist.  Best of luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: