Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime reporting csv export

Jose Campos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.

I,m trying to export some reporting data from prime to .csv, so that i can manipulate that data and upload it into other tools. The problem is that "System Description" is a mandatory field on every report, and since the text in it has commas, the csv (comma separated) file get's a bit confusing and hard to use in a "text to collumns" type.

My question is if some has run into this problema, and better , if we can replace the comma separator by some other character.

thanks in advance 

J

4 Replies 4

Hi, I run into similar issue. Not sure if same as yours.

In my case the output is split into multiple lines and inserted between " ". If I open it in text editor (i.e. Notepad++) Looks something like this (normally this should be 1 line-and I dont have wrap text enabled):

otherdata,,"Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 16-Sep-13 00:31 by prod_rel_team",otherdata,data,data

I use MS excel when turning .csv to table format. And normally Excel is putting text enclosed in " " in one cell and ignore other characters. however in this case if I check in Notepad++ show all characters I see that for those lines in " " are added two white characters CR and LF, other lines contains only LF. One workaround for this I did is that via Notepad++ I replaced all occurences of CR LF (\r\n) with nothing. Thus getting output for each devices into one line per device as it should be. After this excel can correctly delimit output even if comma is used in text (but becasue enclosed in " " it will ignore it). at least this works for me. Haven`t found real solution yet.

Thank for the feedback, i will give it a try to see if it works.

best regards

J

Yes J, as pointed by Michal . there is known issue with Microsoft EXcel it add some extra colon (;) at the end of the file and editing it is very diffcult.

use the tool like notepad ++ or Edit plus to make the desired changes. hope it will work

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

I recently tested and it seems that if you use for example Libre office to open the .csv file it will be correctly handled. If you have that installed you may give it a try :)