cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote vlan change

Jason Rossiter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement where an end station belongs to one vlan, however, a customized management station must have the ability to switch the vlan assignment. My problem is that the management station does not know the port/switch associated with the end station. I was thinking of using some type of eem script/applet to send a trap to the management station with the ip/port/vlan associated with the end station - since it now knows the port associated with the ip it could then change to the appropriate vlan when necessary via snmp. Would this even be possible?

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you need to know the IP, or is the MAC/port enough?  If so, then you coul use the CISCO-MAC-NOTIFICATION-MIB to send the MAC address change trap to the NMS.

If you need to know the IP, that's a bit more challenging.  If you're doing DHCP snooping on the switch, then you can extract the IP from that.  Else, you'd have to have some way of populating the switch's ARP cache with that end host.  It's not easy to do at all.  You could have the switch ping the broadcast and hope the endhost replies.  However, this is not guaranteed.