cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Up a RV220W for VPN and LAN connection

CyberPirate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to anyone kind enough to help. I brought a RV220W router to use with OBS studio using the NDI feature to transfer the video recordings (using a CAT-8 cable - up to 40gbps) to another laptop to save system resources and share the load. While my second laptop (using Win 10 home) seems to be set up okay, and I am seeing the correct transfer speeds. My main laptop is showing very low send and received byte speeds- sent 100,000. received 4,000. I can't connect to the default gateway 192.168.0.1, so therefore, I can't access the router settings. I'm using Win 11 pro and the Cisco router is connected to a Plusnet ISP router, although I only need to use it for LAN purposes the cisco router has no internet connection even though it is connected to the Plusnet WLAN connection via CAT-8 cable. I think something is conflicting. All network settings are apear correct. My laptops are set to be discoverable in advanced network settings, and I am completely confused. I was hoping to use the VPN features, but can't even set up the basics. Any help would be much appreciated. Best, Michael

6 Replies 6

Hi

Would be helpful if you could access the router. It can be indeed a conflict. 192.168.0.1 is very usuall in home device and they both can be using it.

And ir order for fix the internet and setup vpn, all of if will require access to the router.

Why you can not access?

CyberPirate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Flavio, thank you so much for your reply. I am getting faster network speeds after enabling services in windows on my main laptop, and now have win 11 pro installed on the 2nd laptop. I noticed the workgroup names didn't match, which is now rectified, and I have a working network. I still can't connect to the router, I tried to isolate the issue by only connecting the Cisco router, but I still can connect to it.

I tried to input the IP, subnet, and DNS manually. The default gateway and the DNS are the same If I remember correctly from my network course I did many years ago. Unfortunately, I'm still getting DNS error messages.

Please find attached screenshots I took to give you an idea of my setup. OBS and NDI are working, but, as you can see, I'm not getting maximum speeds, and OBS lags. Is as if something is partially blocking the network and two laptops. I reckon the issue will be resolved as soon as I work out why I can't connect to the router and update the firmware. 

I can't begin to emphasise how much I really appreciate your help. 

Best, Michael

Cisco main laptop isuue.png

Cisco main laptop isuue.png

  

CyberPirate
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco issue 2nd laptop Screenshot 2023-05-01 150448.png

 Here is the other laptop details. I somehow posted (above) the same laptop details twice

CyberPirate
Level 1
Level 1

My ISP router doesn't seem to use the same DNS/Default gateway: It uses 192.168.1.254 

I noticed this message:

Unsupported protocol

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. might be useful info.

CyberPirate
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, last message. I changed the Cisco network to private for both laptops.  I'm pretty sure it's not recommended to set it as public for safety reasons. I was wondering if it would be worth using IPV6 instead of IPV4. Not that I fully understand it, but I know it's better in many ways. Maybe this is something that will be utilised in the future. Pure speculation. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card