cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site VPN Tunnel

NeWGuy1109
Level 1
Level 1

Have a very basic question regarding Site to Site VPN Tunnels...

Is it required to establish tunnel at the same time at both locations ?  i mean can one location configuration be done on one day and the other side configuration can be completed the next day ?

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Can't be done.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I am surprised at the response that it can not be done. Perhaps we are understanding the question in different ways. I have configured site to site vpn where I configured one router on one day and configured the other router on a different day. It worked just fine. Of course the vpn will not come up until both are configured. But there is absolutely no requirement that both routers be configured on the same day.

HTH

Rick

yes that is what i meant... configure 1 side FW one day and the other side on a different date.

Thanks for the response

I thought that was what you meant. It is ok. Note that if you do this that the router/FW that is configured may attempt to initiate the vpn but not receive any response (and that may happen many times), so the vpn does not come up until the second device is configured.

HTH

Rick

It's absolutely fine however VPN will be negotiated once bother sides are configured with same ikev parameters.

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card