cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing forced on new IOS-XE versions

d-wade
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any reference documentation/matrix available that shows the first IOS-XE release that enforces smart licensing as the only form of licensing for a particular switch/router/etc.?

Ideally, I would lookup a certain router/switch model in a chart and find the first IOS-XE release that enforces smart licensing. Currently, I'm searching through multiple release notes for different IOS-XE versions across different router/switch models (Cat3850/3650, Cat4500,  ISR4000, ASR1000, etc.) to see if smart licensing is enforced.

The reason I'm asking is because we are in the process of upgrading our switches and the newer "suggested" code enforces smart licensing. The problems is that if the licensing is not converted to smart licensing and/or the switch can not call home to the smart licensing portal, the classics licenses get switched to evals. On top of that, we need to build in more configuration and verification steps in our SOPs.

Any help is appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IOS-XE starting from 16.9.X support Smart Licensing.

Is that true across all platforms (routing, switching, etc.)? Also, is smart licensing enforced or just enabled? Reason I'm asking is because I recently upgraded a Cat3650 switch and my RTU licenses needed to be converted to smart licensing. If I didn't convert them, they would be stuck in an eval mode.

All switches that can load 16.9.X will have Smart License enabled (whether one likes it or not).
Currently, it is "enabled". Future firmware version will/might ramp up from "enabled" to "policing".