cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Snmp interface linkup/down notification issue .

shelkey007
Level 1
Level 1

I have this configuration on a Cisco 892 Router :

logging buffered warnings

logging facility local2

logging host 192.168.131.142

snmp-server community snmp_community RO

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps tty

snmp-server chassis-id 

snmp-server enable traps bgp
snmp-server enable traps config
snmp-server enable traps entity
snmp-server enable traps hsrp
snmp-server enable traps isakmp tunnel start
snmp-server enable traps isakmp tunnel stop

We have a syslog server configured at 192.168.131.142.

We don't want to receive interface up/down notifications.

However when an interface goes up or down we still receive that notification despite removing the configuration :

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkup.

And we have also configured all interfaces :

no snmp trap link-status

no logging event link-status

Even though we are getting interface linkup/down notifications 

What configuration is causing these messages to be syslogged ? Can someone suggest me a solution ?

5 Replies 5

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

with the configuration you have shared ,you should not get syslog for linkup and linkdown.

you can try to remove and re-add the SNMP config ,

also you can try to restart the SNMP engine once:

#no snmp-server

#snmp-server community snmp_community RO

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

I have removed all the statements with No  and again added but No luck still I'm getting the linkup/down notifications .... what to do next ?

SNMP config looks fine , check if  "snmp trap link-status" is enabled globally.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

What are you receiving up/down notifications from?  I ask, because you could be getting notifications three ways: one via traps, a second way via SNMP polling, and last via SYSLOG notifications. So, lets say you are polling a this router and interfaces with Solarwinds, Cisco Prime, or some other network monitoring tool that uses SNMP, if it is setup with alerts and is polling the interface in question for status, you would still get alerting without traps.  All traps do is enable a device to notify of a status change or event vs waiting for something to poll it and discover a change or event.  The last way SYSLOG would also log up/down changes, because interface changes fall within "warning" severity.  You could use logging "discriminators" to filter buffered, monitored (terminal monitor), and exported SYSLOGs if desired.  

syed.faridi
Level 1
Level 1

I am in a similar situation, few not all access ports report link downs on a regular basis and removing/adding snmp config does not help. Our reporting process is via CiscoPrime, could it be a Prime issue?.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card