cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp poling to 0.5 seconds

n.bokhar1
Level 1
Level 1

hi is there an application so i can poll my interface bandwidth every 0.5 seconds for a limited time like 5 -10

mins

?

3 Replies 3

Hi @n.bokhar1

Probably any NMS on market will allow you that much. For performance reason and network bandwidth conservation usually they setup larger interval.

I think you can accomplish this using a Python script for example. Just try to figure out for your device which SNMP OID gets this information.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

As Flavio said, you can probably script this but 0.5 seconds for most devices is probably about as fast as the device will update its own stats.

You might want to see what you get with snmpwalk. Here's some script body parts you can start with. Just add the correct version parameters. And again, as Flavio said, make sure you use the smallest MIB and OID:

# snmpwalk -m MIB -O OUT q:  quick print for easier parsing
NE=${NE-$1}
OID=${OID-"dod"}
snmpwalk -Cp -Ct -O q -t 30 $NE $OID

to poll for Interface utilization you need to read byte counters first time at moment "t" and then second time at "t+n" and then calculate difference and divide it by "n"..  this will give you throughput in "Bytes per second".. then you take interface Bandwidth  and divide by throughput to get Utilization IN %..

To know if with n= 0.5  you can get any reasonable data need to know how often IOS updates internal counters.. it may be > 0.5