cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP View

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have a NMS software which plots the visualization diagram on the entire network. I am using SNMP v3 on Cisco devices and the NMS software is unable to plot the visualization.

This NMS feature depneds on SNMP confifuration commands. I would like my switch to provide all the inforamtion to the NMS software such as vlan etc. How can I force this on the switch?

Is hte the following command? How can I add all to be included in a single command?

snmp-server view view-name oid-tree { included | excluded }

4 Replies 4

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

SNMPv3 will poll all the oids. Is the connectivity between NMS and devices good? Is NMS polling anything?

How can I force this on the switch? 

You don't force the switch to send polling info, your NMS pulls that info from the device.

Views are used to control allow/restirct access to certain oids. For example, if there are high CPU spikes polling a specific oid, you can exclude that oid from monitoring.

In the below command - you have to provide a user-configured view-name and a valid oid-tree value.

snmp-server view view-name oid-tree { included | excluded }

snmp-server view

To create or update a view entry, use the snmp-server view command in global configuration mode. To remove the specified Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) server view entry, use the no torm of this command.

snmp-server view view-name oid-tree { included | excluded }

no snmp-server view view-name

Syntax Description

view-name

Label for the view record that you are updating or creating. The name is used to reference the record.

oid-tree

Object identifier of the ASN.1 subtree to be included or excluded from the view. To identify the subtree, specify a text string consisting of numbers, such as 1.3.6.2.4, or a word, such as system. Replace a single subidentifier with the asterisk (*) wildcard to specify a subtree family; for example 1.3.*.4.

included

Configures the OID (and subtree OIDs) specified in oid-tree argument to be included in the SNMP view.

excluded

Configures the OID (and subtree OIDs) specified in oid-tree argument to be explicitly excluded from the SNMP

I am able to monitor all the Cisco switches using snmp v3. (Up/Down, CPU, Memory) all is OK.

In my NMS, (link below)  there is feature to dynamically generate the visual diagram .and for this feature to work, we need to enable all views under snmp.

https://www.ipswitch.com/resources/video/whatsupgold-2016-2017

After enabling the following commands NMS is able to plot diagram of switches but it cannot show the PC connected to it. It seems like NMS is unable to see ARP entries of PC's. Anyway to fine tune these settings?

snmp-server view SNMPV3 iso included

snmp-server view SNMPV3 cisco included

Also I need to enable vlan pattern as shown below, same has to be enabled on switches. Please advise.

https://docs.ipswitch.com/NM/WhatsUpGold2019/03_Help/1033/index.htm?41091.htm?toc.htm

I guess you have already confirmed the add-on needed to see the connected devices is enabled ..

WHATSCONNECTED 

This feature relies on the following functionalities of the switch, So what do I need to enable on the switch? I have disabled CDP..

WhatsConnected uses a number of innovative Layer 2/3 discovery technologies–including ARP,
SNMP, SSH, Virtual Infrastructure Management, IP addressing, ICMP and LLDP in combination
with vendor-proprietary mechanisms – to discover everything connected to your network and
build a complete and accurate picture of network devices and their port-to-port connectivity.