cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TCL Script to trigger when command is entered

dmramirez1
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone assist me with a script, or at least tell me if its possible. I need a script that will trigger only for a specific username and only when entering Config T.

This script is a workaround for a bug in my ios that makes creating a "read only" user pretty much impossible in my environment (no tacacs/radius, upgrading/downgrading ios is a very long process).

Ultimately I need the script to auto "exit" whenever the specific user enter global configuration mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dmramirez1
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I found a solution. This is the Applet that I am using.

event manager applet READONLY

event cli pattern "configure terminal" sync yes

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 1.1 cli command "show users | i BADUSER"

action 1.2 string length "$_cli_result"

action 1.3 if "$_string_result" le 100   ##The blank line results in about 80 length

action 1.4   exit 1

action 1.5 else

action 1.6   exit 0

action 1.7 end

The only problem this applet causes is if your "Baduser" is going to be logged in a large amount of time, it can lock you out of global configuration mode. To solve this, you could just do a "disconnect" command to kick them out if need be.

For my situation the "baduser" is a service that will be logged in for no more than about 20 seconds at a time and only about once a week.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you want is not possible.  While you can check for a user entering config t, you cannot force them to auto-exit.

What version of IOS are you running?

I just want a script that runs the global configuration command "exit" as soon as "conf t" is entered. This is not possible?

I found a way to create an EEM Applet that will just skip the conf t command when it is entered.

Now that I have this I only need to know how to set this applet to only be triggered for a specific user. If anyone has any details please share. I will continue my research.

Right, you can block the "config t" altogether, but the reason I asked you the version of code is that not all versions support the ability to get the username that executed the command.  What version of code are you running?

15.1(4)M4

Eem ver 3.2

Unfortunately, you need EEM 4.0 in order to get the enhanced CLI ED with the _cli_username variable.  With that variable you can check against the username you want to check:

if $_cli_username eq "baduser"

exit 0

else

exit 1

end

Oh wow thanks. That's unfortunate.

Right now I am trying to create a script that will view the "Show users" output and use a For loop to see if the username is found and then run the script off of that.

This is my first time though so It's not liking a lot of my scripts. This is what I have so far.

Action 1.0 cli command "do show users"

Action 1.1 for each _user "$_cli_results"

Action 1.2 regexp ".*(baduser).*" "$_user"

Action 1.3 if $_regexp_result eq 1

Action 1.4 exit 0

Action 1.5 else

Action 1.6 exit 1

This looks okay (though the parentheses may not be you want).  But I would worry that this approach could deny any user config t access if baduser is logged in at the same time.

dmramirez1
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I found a solution. This is the Applet that I am using.

event manager applet READONLY

event cli pattern "configure terminal" sync yes

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 1.1 cli command "show users | i BADUSER"

action 1.2 string length "$_cli_result"

action 1.3 if "$_string_result" le 100   ##The blank line results in about 80 length

action 1.4   exit 1

action 1.5 else

action 1.6   exit 0

action 1.7 end

The only problem this applet causes is if your "Baduser" is going to be logged in a large amount of time, it can lock you out of global configuration mode. To solve this, you could just do a "disconnect" command to kick them out if need be.

For my situation the "baduser" is a service that will be logged in for no more than about 20 seconds at a time and only about once a week.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card