Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to access anything other than ping from behind a cisco 1921 router

mmarosz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 
I am new to this community, and I am beginning to study for the CCNA exams. I apologize in advance for any 'un-educated' or 'un-necessary' questions, but with that said, I was hoping I could gain some knowledge/guidance with this problem i am having.

:here is the setup: 

I have a test network, and it has a cable modem connected to a netgear SOHO router/switch/wireless ap combo device.

I have my 'main pc', aka pc4, connected to the switch part of the netgear combo device, and it can access the internet (and anything else connected to the same switch) normally. the LAN side of the router part of the netgear combo device has an ip of 192.168.1.1.

Then, I purchased a cisco 1921 router, and I am trying to use it to make 2 separate networks in my test network.

I gave the cisco router's ge0/0 interface a static ip of 192.168.1.50, and I connected it to the switch part of the netgear combo device, .

Then, I gave the cisco router's ge0/1 interface a static ip of 10.10.10.1, and I connected it to a separate (unmanaged) switch.

Then,
i connected a test pc, aka pc2, to this unmanaged switch.

:here is the question: 

I cannot access the internet from pc2, and i dont know why.

I thought i needed to setup local static routes from pc4 and pc2, so i did that, but im not sure if that made any difference.

eg, from each pc, and from the router itself (i connected with the serial console port and putty), I can ping each pc and each interface in the router.
but, i can only ping by IP address, not by name.

eg, from pc2, if I ping pc4 by ip address, pc4 replies normally all 4 times.

eg, from pc2, if I ping pc4 by pc name, i get an error, "ping request could not find host pc4", this error only appears once after a pause.

eg, from pc2, if I ping "google.com", in the 4 ping requests that are sent, i get these 2 errors, "request timed out", and "reply from 10.10.10.1: destination host unreachable".

i have read that "destination host unreachable" means a router in the path of the ping to its destination does not have a stored route to the destination, and the router replies with "destination host unreachable".

but then i also read that "request timed out" means that the ping request never got a reply, which may mean that the routers in the path to the destination did have routes to the destination, and they forwarded the ping request, but then something else happened that caused the ping request to get dropped on its return trip.

so, i dont know how i could get both of those errors in the same ping command.

I am quite stumped as to what to do next, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

-michael

48 Replies 48

Hello Rick,

My original question is solved, as I can do what I needed to now (and more!), so i am going to hit the "accept as solution" button, I will start a new discussion about other things when I can, and (i mean it) I cant wait to have more discussion with you!

Thank you, too, for telling me about the ability to send you a link when i make a new discussion, i did not know such a thing existed.

I've been looking at all of the things you've said about my most recent questions.

I'm beginning to see a bigger picture of how networks work, and that is invaluable when troubleshooting real world problems, so I want to emphasize how much I appreciate all of your answers, especially to the questions that are still very basic.

The answer to this problem was nothing like I originally thought it was going to be.

And not to dwell or be obsequious, i appreciate how you really answer the actual question that I'm asking, because it is filling in the gaps on a ton of stuff I've read.

There is method to this madness, and you really seem to have a solid understanding of it.

Thank you again for helping me get that solid understanding too,  

-Michael

..and thank you for the congratulations on the new job, it could not have come at a better time!

Michael

Thanks for the update. And thanks for marking this question as solved. It has been an interesting discussion and I am glad that you have found it helpful. Many years ago I was a beginner about networking. I found people in a community similar to this one who were willing to share what they knew and I was very grateful. Now I am glad to share what I know with people who are beginning their careers in networking. I hope that as you gain experience and knowledge about networking that you will want to answer questions as well as asking them. 

Best wishes for the new job. I hope it works out well for you. And I look forward to more discussions that we might have.

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick, 

thank you for the good luck wish, so far the first 2 days have been great. I look forward to being able to answer questions too. thank you for your help. this is a great community!

-Michael

Michael

Glad the job is doing great. Hope it continues that way. For now concentrate on the job. As you have some time available come back to the community and post something.

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card