Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade PI 3.0 to PI 3.1

I'm about to do the upgrade from PI 3.0 to PI 3.1 and when reading the procedure for this http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-1/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#pgfId-136237 it says at step 11 a note "Run the application upgrade form the console." Do they really mean I have to have console access to do this upgrade?!?! This would be kind of problematic for a lot of reasons but in this particular case it's hosted by a thirdparty on a virtual server (which I will i no ****ing way get access to). Has anyone made this upgrade using ssh (putty, securecrt or some other ssh console application)?

Br

//Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>need to have console access for the upgrade

- Unfortunately yes, it won't run from any other source.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>need to have console access for the upgrade

- Unfortunately yes, it won't run from any other source.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for the clarification, although I consider this to be complete lunacy from Ciscos part.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

M. is correct. Trying to run the upgrade from any ssh session will fail.

I've seen it myself and several postings here have reported the same.

You might possibly be able to backup your 3.0 and have your provider deploy a new 3.1 onto which you restore the 3.0 backup.

>Trying to run the upgrade from any ssh session will fail.

>I've seen it myself and several postings here have reported the same.

- That being said ; the argument from Prime, for a console-upgrade only ,  probably comes from the fact that during the upgrade process the prime-server is rebooted a couple of times; and argumenting that users could then follow up on the upgrade process.

I find this argument weak in the CloudAge, where software, servers and services are being transparently used around the globe. Cisco amongst others, being the favorites of such  a world should then comply, by designing their upgrade procedures as such, and for instance provide a global upgrade log file ,available for examining after the upgrade, and as such making remote upgrades (again) possible.

M.

M.,

I agree it's a weak argument on Cisco's part but it is, unfortunately, how this particular upgrade currently works.

Even other Cisco ADE-OS-based products (e.g. ISE) allow you to perform major product upgrades that include a Linux OS upgrade via remote ssh or even GUI session.