cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking issues with Host Address that end in Zero

BSmith2277
Level 1
Level 1

Our network is basically flat, using a 255.248.0.0 /13 subnet mask.

Therefore, a 10.8.1.0 address, a typically network address, is a legitimate address to be used for a switch

My issue and question is that User Tracking will not find any information about a switch that Host Address ends with a zero.

Is there any connection between the Host Address and the Network Address being the same, which would cause User Tracking not to find the device and report End Hosts?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is code in ANI that will ignore such addresses since mask information is not always available. In such cases, for this address, a class A mask will be assumed. I'm curious, though. Do these switches even show up on the Topology Map?

Yes, these devices show up on the Topology Map.

Is there work around for this 'feature'?

After digging through the code some, I see no User Tracking specific piece that would ignore such addresses. If they are properly data collected and on the Topology Map, then that is the major battle.

These switches must be getting ignore for another reason. Enabling vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Administration > Data Collection > Debugging Options then getting the ut.log may provide more clues.