Views
Helpful
Replies

using MRTG to monitor network !

vnescapehoya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all !

In my network, we have both cisco divices (switchs and router)and 3COM,Sercom divices.

I want to use MRTG to monitor all the divices in my network, but I'm not sure that MRTG suuport 3COM & Sercom???

If you know, pls tell me how to do that!

Many thanks !!

5 Replies 5

Yury Shefer
Level 1
Level 1

You devices should support SNMP. That's all.

You can try to use Cacti (frontend to rrdtool+snmp+php) instead of MRTG. url: www.cacti.net

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MRTG will monitor the device (regardless of manufacturer) if it supports SNMP. There are some standard mibs that are supported among all devices, while there are some other vendor specific mibs you will want to look at using.

Hi !

Thank you alot !

Now, I'm using MRTG to monitor a Contitvity 600.In the "MRTG Index Page", there are 4 graphs corresponding to 4 interfaces.Two graphs of these are for Lan0 & Lan1 interface, but I don't know the other 2 graphs is for which interfaces ??? Because in the Contivity 600,physically, there are only 2 Lan interfaces (and 1 console interface!)

If anyone understand these 2 graphs, pls help me! Thanks!

If you used the mrtg configmaker then hopefully you should have some descriptions in the config file.

Maybe SNMPWALK the device and match up the snmp interface index number from the config file to other interface parameters to determine the interface type.

HTH

--Phil

you can try walking the ifTable for this device, this will then provide an index value that maps to other objects in the table

ex)

ifIndex.1 = 1

ifIndex.2 = 2

ifDescr.1 = Serial 0/0

ifDescr.2 = Fast Eth 0/1

In this case you can see that any object in the table with a .1 index value refers to serial 0/0 and .2 refers to fast eth 0/1

You can then use these values to tie the table rows together