cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMS 2.2

vnealy
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if I can run VMS on my existing CW2K server? I am running the latest and greatest (LMS 2.2) with all updates ( IDUs and patches ). Or, do I need a separate server? If I need a separate server, would my existing setup be in sync with VMS 2.2? How do they talk to each other if so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

rrussell
Level 1
Level 1

If you have RME loaded from the LMS 2.2 product you should be able to just make sure you have the most up to date common services and then install the vms product that you're looking for (VPN, IDSMC etc.). I used to have RWAN and loaded the VMS product on a while ago. Now I just rebuild and load up the VMS suite.

Ron Russell

Are you encountering any performance issues on the server? Cisco recommends a separate server to run VMS 2.2.

Thank you.

Vincent Nealy

We are not encountering any performance issues (other than those already associated with CiscoWorks itself).

NOTE: We do not log any of the IDS or firewall logs to the VMS server (we have other applications that handle that analysis). So if you are planning on loading up the VMS server your results may differ.

And regarding the concern of multiple syslogs on the same CiscoWorks server, I can see that would be a valid concern but the old 3.1 IDS's only use POP (not port 515) and the 4.x sensors use RDEP (that's technically SSL), so unless you're sending a whole lot of data to the CiscoWorks server and overloading it's ability to process all that data I'm not sure what the difficulty is on Cisco Works's part.

And I'm sure that there is an event per second rate that CiscoWorks can handle but I'm not sure what that is as we don't event to it.

Ron

Thanks for your reply.

So, it seems that I will be buying another server then. Just to be safe.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you!

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

I'd be very careful.

I've got into a trouble with my RME syslog when upgraded to VMS MC 2.0 on my RME machine.

See http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd6c1e3/6#selected_message

for details.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you very much for your reply.